Rolling, Rolling, Rolling on the river...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pat's Rubber Legs


AKA Crane Fly Larva, Cat Poop, Girdle Bug, The Pickle and what I have personally nicknamed called the Fish Catching Machine.  



This fly has been quickly emerging as my favorite fly to fish on any river over the last couple of years.  The color variations, sizes, weight, and methods of fishing match up well with the myriad of nicknames this fly has. 

How to Fish It:  I normally fish this as a lead fly in a double nymph rig and will try different techniques which all have lead to strikes.  After a nice long drift, I let the flies swing behind me and make note when fish strike on the swing.  If the hookups are consistent enough on the swing, I change the method a bit by removing my strike indicator and keeping a tight line with the fly through the drift, pulling it slightly faster than the current.  I have also used Pat’s as a trailer fly for double streamer rigs with some good success.  




Favorite Colors/Sizes:  My favorite colors are the very basic black with gold or orange legs, the brown version with gold legs and both the tan/brown variegated and black/brown variegated versions.  These seem to match up well for many different stoneflies throughout their different stages and color schemes. 


For sizes, I typically have a good assortment ranging from size 6-12, with some smaller versions as well. 

Materials to Tie: This fly is incredibly easy to tie and should become one you are able to whip out quickly.  This way you can toy with color combos, amount of weight and sizes.  Try changing the color of the chenille, legs, and the size/weight and keep track of what is effective on your local rivers. Here is a link to a great tying tutorial as well as the list of materials:


·     Tiemco Hooks 5262
·     Lead Wire
·     Black or Brown 8/0 thread
·     Super Floss or Flexi Floss – Legs/Antennae
·     Medium Chenille – Color of choice

No comments:

Post a Comment