Rolling, Rolling, Rolling on the river...

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Most Beautiful Crappy Day

On Tuesday morning I woke up knowing I was going to head out to one of my favorite places, Cheesman Canyon.  The weather forecast could not have been better, low 60's and little to no wind.  I made it to the Gill Trailhead only to find three more cars.  Things were looking great and I was excited to throw my gear on and head out.  I was on the river by 10:45 and enjoying the weather and being back in the canyon.

With the nice weather, I wish I could say there were small midges coming off, but instead there were TINY midges coming off.  The fish weren't coming to the surface, but I could see them moving around pretty actively in the deeper seams and pools behind the rocks.  I finally got some attention by using a size #22 Palamino Midge trailed by a #24 black RS2.  Had a few takers on the RS2, and continued to switch out the lead fly in the nymph rig.  The golden ticket came when I put on a #20 pheasant tail with the RS2 behind and I was able to pick up fish on each.

The fish were stacked up on one another in the deep pools, just on the edges of the main channel. I picked up some decent fish, all on the nymph rig.  Throughout the day there would be the sporadic riser, but nothing to get excited about.  It was clear the fish were feeding on the larva or emergers.  

I couldn't help but enjoy the day spent outside in a short sleeved shirt, standing in the river, catching fish under the sun.  Unfortunately things were about to change as I as wrapping up the day.  I hiked out and made it back to the truck.  As I was walking up to it, and noticed the back window was pushed out, and not locked like I had left it.  Immediately I swelled with anger and fear as I opened up the back.  My plastic tub with my flies and reels was gone.

When I moved back to Denver, I consolidated all of my reels and flies into that tub and did not think about it being a risk.  In all of my years I have never heard of gear being targeted or stolen, and did not think twice about throwing the whole thing in the truck for the day.

This whole experience leaves an extremely bitter taste in my mouth.  I can only help to think that this one instance is a wake up call that we can never become too comfortable.  I have fallen guilty to overlooking risks that we should all be aware of.  Even if you park in a 'fishing parking lot,' be conscious that there are the same risks as parking outside your house and only bring those things that you will need for the day.  Never again will I have my entire arsenal of gear, even if it is only my reels, with me at one place.

I am now working with the insurance company (renter's insurance), trying to sort out everything I lost and how to prove it.  As I am sure most fisherman do, I accumulated much of my gear little by little, over a period of years.  Since it has been so long, I don't have receipts for those goods, but hopefully the pictures I have with the reels in action will suffice.  If anyone has any advice, please feel free to respond.

In the meantime, maybe take a minute next time you are cleaning your gear out and snap a pic or two of  it all, or even better, keep a detailed log with receipts of your items as well.  If something ever happens with your cherished fishing gear, maybe that will help out.

No comments:

Post a Comment